This workshop/course recognises that learning is about much more than the transfer of information and much more than shaping what we think. Christian education embraces participation in God’s story. This workshop explores learning activities and practice that seeks a deeper learning that sees students as participants not recipients.
Participants will be able to:
- present the purpose of teaching within a Christian education setting
- discuss the difference between teaching and learning
- appreciate the balance between common grace and antithesis in regards to the current research trends in education
- analyse the strengths and weaknesses of Visible Learning research
- analyse the strengths and weaknesses of Thinking Routines and Cultures of Thinking
- analyse the strengths and weaknesses of project based learning
- explore the ‘mindframes’ of a teacher as presented by John Hattie
- explore the ‘8People’ of a teacher as presented by Kevin Knight
- appreciate the difference between entertainment vs engagement in teaching
- understand the importance of explicit teaching
- define effective questioning
- appreciate the variables involved with taking surface learning to deeper learning
- understand the place of a student’s deep hope, desires, and passion in commitment to deeper learning.